Are you feeling that unmistakable itch of wanderlust? Ready to pack your bags and explore the world? Before you embark on your next adventure, let’s talk about an essential aspect of your travel planning: your health. Travelling comes with unique health considerations, including taking preventive measures such as getting travel vaccines or stocking up on travel medications. Your PharmaChoice pharmacist can help you prepare for travel, ensuring you are set for the trip of a lifetime.
Before travelling, it is important to ensure you are up to date on routine vaccinations as well as any additional vaccinations that may protect you during your travels. Your healthcare providers will consider where you are going, your age, and expected travel activities when determining if you need any additional vaccinations. Some common conditions vaccinated against prior to travelling include hepatitis A and B, typhoid fever, and yellow fever. Visit your local pharmacy for more information on travel vaccines including how they are prescribed and administered.
Another practice to ensure you are prepared for anything during your travels is to pre-purchase and pack over the counter travel medications. Traveller’s diarrhea is a common ailment that strikes during vacation abroad. Your pharmacist can help you choose an oral rehydration solution to keep on hand should you become dehydrated as a result of diarrhea. You can also stock up on sunscreen, pain relievers, and any other toiletries available at your local pharmacy. Before travelling with any type of medication, visit https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medication for information on how to cross the border with medication.
Below is a summary of what you need to add to your pre-trip “to-do” list and packing list:
- Schedule a Medication Review with Your Pharmacist: Scheduling a check-in with your pharmacist two months before trip departure will allow you to schedule any vaccinations you may need and ensure these vaccinations take full effect before you depart.
- Hydration: As mentioned earlier, staying hydrated is especially important when you are experiencing vomiting or diarrhea as the body loses a lot of fluid during these instances. It is also possible to become dehydrated from hot weather or partaking in physical activity. Your pharmacist can help you choose oral hydration solutions to take on your trip as a precaution. Remember to ensure the water is safe to consume before drinking or using tap water while on vacation too!
- Nutrition: Exploring new cuisines is part of the fun, but your pharmacist can guide you on making healthy food choices that won’t upset your stomach.
- Insect Protection: In areas prone to mosquito-borne illnesses, your pharmacist can recommend effective insect repellents and protective clothing.
- Sun Safety: Whether you’re basking on a tropical beach or sightseeing, your pharmacist can suggest suitable sunscreens to shield your skin from harmful rays.
Ready to embark on your next adventure with confidence? Your PharmaChoice pharmacist is here to guide you every step of the way. Whether it’s choosing the right travel vaccines, stocking up on essential travel medications, or learning about travel health tips, they’ve got your back. Together, you’ll make sure your travel memories are full of joy, not health concerns. Bon voyage!