Natural Health Products
Non-traditional solutions to help boost your health and wellness.
Seal oil comes from the blubber (fat tissue) of many different species of seal (e.g., bearded seal, gray seal, harbour seal, harp seal). Seal oil contains "healthy fats" known as omega-3 fatty acids. Examples of omega-3 fatty acids in seal oil include eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and docosapentaenoic acid (DPA).
How is this product usually used?
Seal oil is taken by mouth and is available in capsules, tablets, chewable tablets or gummies, powders, strips, or liquids. The daily recommended amounts for EPA, DHA and DPA in seal oil are:
- children 1 to 8 years old: 100 mg to 1,500 mg
- children 9 to 13 years old: 100 mg to 2,000 mg
- adolescents 14 to 17 years old: 100 mg to 2,500 mg
- adults 18 years and older (including pregnant and breast-feeding women): 100 mg to 3,000 mg
Your health care provider may have recommended using this product in other ways. Contact a health care provider if you have questions.
What is this product used for?
Seal oil has different uses depending on how much eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) the product contains. Seal oil is used:
- as a source of omega-3 fatty acids for maintaining good health
- to help support brain, eye, and nerve development in children 12 years of age and younger
- to reduce cholesterol (specifically triglycerides/triacylglycerols)
- to support heart health
Your health care provider may have recommended this product for other conditions. Contact a health care provider if you have questions.
What else should I be aware of?
Seal oil products that are not in capsule form should be refrigerated after opening. All products should be stored in an airtight container and protected from light.
Before taking any new medications, including natural health products, speak to your physician, pharmacist, or other health care provider. Tell your health care provider about any natural health products you may be taking.
- Health Canada. Natural Health Products Ingredients Database. Seal Oil. [updated 2014 March 24; cited 2014 July 03]. Available from: http://webprod.hc-sc.gc.ca/nhpid-bdipsn/atReq.do?atid=seal.oil&lang=eng.
All material copyright MediResource Inc. 1996 – 2020. Terms and conditions of use. The contents herein are for informational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.