Natural Health Products
Non-traditional solutions to help boost your health and wellness.
Avens is listed as a natural source of food flavoring by the Council of Europe.
Geum urbanum L. (Rosaceae)
How is this product usually used?
The aerial parts and roots of avens are used medicinally. It is an herb that is taken orally. In general, the doses are:
- powder: 1 g to 4 g dried powder, 3 times per day
- infusion: 1 g to 4 g dried aerial parts, 3 times per day
- fluid extract: 1 g to 4 g dried equivalent, 3 times per day
- powder: 1 g to 2 g (15 to 30 grains) dried powder, per day
- infusion: 1.8 g to 3.6 g (0.5 to 1 teaspoon) dried root, several times per day
- fluid extract: 1.9 g to 3.7 g (0.5 to 1 dram) dried equivalent, per day
Your health care provider may have recommended using this product in other ways. Contact a health care provider if you have questions.
What is this product used for?
Avens has been used in herbal medicine for:
- sore throat
- aiding digestion
People have also used avens for:
- uterine bleeding
- inflammation of the bowel
There is no research evidence to show that avens is helpful for any uses including treating diarrhea, sore throat, fever, uterine bleeding, inflammation of the bowel, and aiding digestion.
Your health care provider may have recommended this product for other conditions. Contact a health care provider if you have questions.
What else should I be aware of?
Side effects from avens have not been reported. However, you should avoid using more than the recommended dose of avens as there is no information available about its toxicity.
There is no reliable information to show whether avens interacts with any medications.
If your symptoms persist or worsen after taking avens, you should consult your health care provider.
You should avoid using avens if you are allergic to it.
Do not use avens if you are pregnant or beast-feeding. Consult your health care provider if you have any questions.
Before taking any new medications, including natural health products, speak to your physician, pharmacist, or other health care provider. Tell your health care provider about any natural health products you may be taking.
- Health Canada. Drugs & Health Products. Monograph – Avens. http://webprod.hc-sc.gc.ca/nhpid-bdipsn/monoReq.do?id=37&lang=eng.
- Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database Consumer Version. Avens.
All material copyright MediResource Inc. 1996 – 2020. Terms and conditions of use. The contents herein are for informational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.