Natural Health Products
Non-traditional solutions to help boost your health and wellness.
Angelica has a long history. It has been used specifically for digestive and women’s reproductive problems and for diseases caused by microorganisms (e.g., bacteria). People have also used angelica as a food and perfume additive, and even candied angelica’s leaves and stems for cake and pastry decorations.
Angelica archangelica L. (Apiaceae)
How is this product usually used?
Angelica is available as roots and rhizomes (part of the stems), leaves, and seed (fruit). It is an herb that is taken orallyorallyto be taken by mouth (swallowed). In general the doses are:
Root and rhizome
- dried root and rhizome: 0.6 g to 2 g, 3 times per day
- infusioninfusionthe process of steeping or soaking plant material in hot or cold water to isolate its active ingredient: 0.6 g to 2 g dried root and rhizome, 3 times per day
- decoctiondecoctionthe process of boiling plant parts in water and straining the liquid for medicine: 1.5 g dried root and rhizome, 3 times per day.
- fluid extractextractto get, separate, or isolate a desired active ingredient: 0.5 g to 2 g dried equivalent, 3 times per day.
- tincturetincturea desired active ingredient that is extracted from alcoholic solution: 100 mg to 400 mg dried equivalent, 3 times per day
- dried leaf: 2 g to 5 g, 3 times per day
- infusion: 2 g to 5 g dried leaf, 3 times per day
- fluid extract: 2 g to 5 g dried equivalent, 3 times per day
- tincture: 0.4 g to 1 g dried equivalent, 3 times per day
- dried seed: 1 g to 2 g, 3 times per day
Your health care provider may have recommended using this product in other ways. Contact a health care provider if you have questions.
What is this product used for?
Angelica is used for:
- aiding digestion
- bronchialbronchialrelating to the larger air passages of the lungs illness, coughs and colds
- dyspepsiadyspepsiaindigestion or upset stomach and flatulence
- fevers, by inducing sweating
- increasing urine output (used as a diureticdiuretican agent that increases urine flow)
People have also used angelica for:
- premature ejaculation problems (this product also contains other ingredients)
Your health care provider may have recommended this product for other conditions. Contact a health care provider if you have questions.
What else should I be aware of?
Some research suggests that the use of one angelica combination product (that also contains other ingredients) improves dyspepsiadyspepsiaindigestion or upset stomach. Another angelica combination product helps men suffering from premature ejaculation. However, more reliable research is needed to confirm this.
More effective evidence is also needed to show that angelica is helpful for other uses including aiding digestion; relieving bronchialbronchialrelating to the larger air passages of the lungs illness, coughs, and colds; treating flatulence and fevers; and increasing urine output.
Angelica may make you more sensitive to sun light. If you use angelica you should avoid prolonged sun exposure, wear sun block, and cover up with clothes (e.g., wear long sleeves, pants, hat).
If your symptoms persist or worsen after using angelica, you should consult your health care provider. If you have peptic ulcer disease, consult your health care provider before using angelica.
You should avoid using angelica if you are allergic to angelica or any other ingredient in an angelica combination product.
Women who are pregnant or breast-feeding should not use angelica. Consult your health care provider if you have any questions.
Before taking any new medications, including natural health products, speak to your physician, pharmacist, or health care provider. Tell your health care provider about any natural health products that you may be taking.
- Health Canada. Drugs & Health Products. Monograph – Angelica. http://webprod.hc-sc.gc.ca/nhpid-bdipsn/monoReq.do?id=33, accessed 9 March 2014.
- Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. Angelica. (accessed online 9 March, 2014)
All material copyright MediResource Inc. 1996 – 2020. Terms and conditions of use. The contents herein are for informational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.